Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Another view of paradise

Most of us imagine Paradise ( the human version) to include palm trees, sun and warm sands. I am sure that version exists, but we cannot all move to such places, and some of us may prefer a cooler notion of a perfect spot to inhabit. Well, maybe we have found it. It is in Vermont. Heading back to to schuylerville ( this dysfunctional shift key is a pain) I expressed a desire to visit small Dog.
for many years when we had the Norton Street Bookshop, Michael would purchase items from this Mac store. As far as we knew, we were the only bookshop that used Macs in the bookshop business in Australia. Items would arrive from Small Dog, accompanied by a small plastic dog, most of whom still inhabit our computer zones, even though our bookshop is now closed permanently.
but we still receive their weekly newsletters; the advice and information is always welcome, and the values expressed in Don's "soap boxes" always make me feel like I just had a great evening at dinner with him, his family & his crew. (well I would be lost for words about sport , but then I would even if he were an Aussie!)
To get to small dog, first we had to have lunch at Montpelier, at a fine Italian restaurant overlooking a river. After lunch I was allowed only to visit a knitting store, so i have to return to Montpelier , maybe within the next 2 years!
then we travelled to warren, (by now you may be wondering if this failing of a shift key is leading somewhere?), in order to get to waitsville. Home of Small Dog.
where my darling purchased , for me, a reconditioned Mac book. which I have yet found the time to remove from it's box !!!!
But the point I want to make here is that we travelled through some of the prettiest, inspiring and awesome parts of creation I have been privileged to observe.





This part of the world is truly special, Vermont has the kind of politics where people are given space to be themselves, I am not sure I could LOVE the winters, but it felt like a kind of home. Another paradise on earth. Along with Cairns, Bali, and Leichhardt
Maybe Don will open his third branch in New sOuth wales??
We had a wonderful conclusion to our road trip.

No comments: