Friday, October 27, 2006

Yes he is a Kingfisher-a Sacred one


Those wonderful people at the Australian museum are very prompt.
This was their reply to my email:

From your photos it looks like a Sacred Kingfisher (Todiramphus
sanctus).
They are found in Sydney but are not commonly seen and their visits are
very special!
There is a factsheet and photo on our website at this link:
http://www.amonline.net.au/factSheets/sacred_kingfisher.htm
So I am flattered that he chose my place for a stopover. Though I suspect he is using my place as an observation post to check the neighbours fish pond!

12.noon another update. Got a closer shot of him at 11.30 this morning. He had a lizard swinging from his beak just before this photo was taken. As my friend Tig, will tell you, I have an abundance of lizards in the garden.So maybe he is not here for the neighbour's fish!

No comments: